Assistance in planning and researching keywords is undoubtedly one of the great strengths of the tool. Therefore, knowing how to use SEMrush is essential for anyone working with online content production!
If you want to improve the ranking of your website or blog on Google and are wondering which keywords are right to use , what other terms your audience searches for, or even what terms your content is ranking for , SEMrush is the perfect tool for you!
Continue reading that we will teach you in a practical way how you can use it to do a good keyword research and define the best ones for your business. Check out!
SEMrush: how to use it in practice to do keyword research and choose the best ones for your website
The great advantage is that it is already very easy and practical to do a keyword search with SEMrush. Here’s just how:
As soon as you log into your account, on the home page, there is a search field at the top, so you can search for any word or term you want.
As soon as you click on “Search”, the tool already provides you with a complete report on that term in seconds , with an overview so you can evaluate and make more assertive decisions.
Only with this quick report, you will already have access to extremely relevant information to choose a keyword, such as:
- Search volume and number of results in organic search: there are keywords, for example, that do not even generate this type of data, because the volume of search and results is very irrelevant. If this happens, consider trying another related keyword that is more popular.
- Cost Per Click (CPC) and Competition in paid ads: here you must evaluate according to your market segment. As much as the keyword may seem expensive or very competitive, the data can be good numbers for your specific segment.
- Keyword trend: analyze this information with the following “does this keyword have a stable search volume or is it very seasonal?”. In general, terms with a more constant volume are better opportunities, since they can give greater stability and longevity to your content. But it is not a rule: if your strategy is to work on content for keywords at specific times, such as “travel” at the end of the year or “breast cancer” in October, the terms remain relevant.
- Ranking Difficulty (Average KD): If the ranking difficulty is high and your website is still new, or does not have as much digital authority, it may be better to look for another keyword that is more likely to rank well to start and , later on, being able to compete for positions in keywords with higher KD.
- Phrase match keywords: In this part, you can get a sense of what users most want to know about that term, giving a better direction for the content you are going to produce.
- Related keywords: here you can have ideas for other keywords to analyze, which are related to the one you were studying. So, if the one you were studying doesn’t have good data, this is where you can look for other terms to analyze and replace.
It is with all this data that you will validate that keyword that you thought for your strategy. Is she really the most ideal? Do you have a good search volume? Is it difficult to rank?
In addition to all this, other data from the report deserve special attention: Organic Search Results and Ad Texts .
In the first, you can already see in SEMrush which links and content are best ranked for that keyword, as a preview of the first and other Google pages.
In the second, you can see which competitor’s ads are running for the keyword you searched for and how they are doing, in full.
With these two pieces of information in hand, you can get good ideas and insights to work on your keyword.
Oh, and in addition to all this, it is also possible to limit the search by region or country, if you prefer, as well as in Google Trends , to get more interesting results according to your strategy.
If you want to better understand what keywords are and how to use them in a practical way , read this other article .
And don’t stop there: other SEMrush features that will make your keyword planning even easier
Keyword Magic Tool
This feature will offer you a more detailed analysis of your keyword , compared to the overview we explained above.
You will get a sense of the full potential of that keyword, with the related searches and terms.
In order to facilitate the analysis, SEMrush also groups the most common terms related to that keyword (to the right of the print), so that you can study with more focus the group that is most interesting to you.
In the case of the keyword “semrush”, as you can see in the print, there is a specific search volume for users who want to know about SEMrush related to SEO.
This feature, on the other hand, will detail you better how difficult your job can be to overcome the positioning of competitors in the search results for a certain keyword and rise in the Google ranking.
Even if this information is relative, it can be very useful in data analysis.
We know that certain keywords have high competition and being aware of the chances of reaching the position of the competitor, who uses that keyword, is a very relevant data.
How do I know if the keywords I chose were ideal? Analyze the results in SEMrush itself
In addition to planning, SEMRush also allows you to monitor the progress of your strategy and thus be able to have more control of the results.
With that, you can also adapt it according to the information that the platform provides, in post-planning.
Regarding the site, the platform offers relevant data on organic traffic . Just go to “Projects”> select your site> “Position Tracking”.
From there you will have access to information such as the main organic keywords that lead to your domain, the main competitors for the same keywords on your site, as well as a competitive positioning map, with the main competitors, according to the keywords defined in your strategy.
Each report can still be expanded and offer even more information. In the case of the main organic keywords, in a complete view it is possible to know, for example, which publications are ranked according to the keywords, their positions and variations.
With this and other SEMRush resources, planning keywords and tracking results can be much easier and more effective.
And there are several other tools that can help you when building a digital marketing strategy. Check here the best tools to measure results .
More about the SEMrush tool: far beyond keyword research
The online platform is a complete and useful help for anyone working with digital marketing. SEMrush is also considered one of the best tools for analyzing SEO – Search Engine Optmization , in addition to offering a detailed analysis of your company’s website and the competition of your business, as we have already given a spoiler here.
We even use SEMrush itself to offer you a free general diagnosis of your website’s performance .
The tool has a free model and also a paid model, with access to all features.